Grilled Corn Chowder. It is still winter in most of the country, so the day is perfect for a hot bowl of corn chowder. Grilling the corn, garlic and pepper before making the chowder will give you a delicious flavor that is so different from other corn chowder that you have tasted. The potatoes make the chowder thick, creamy and hearty, and will fill you up completely. This soup is vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
- 4 ears of corn
- olive oil, salt and pepper for brushing vegetables
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil for saute
- 1 orange or red pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 potatoes
- 3 cups of soy or almond milk
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp gluten free flour
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- **Even though it is February, it is 72 degrees today. I have grilled the corn, red pepper and garlic outdoors to prepare for the chowder. If you cannot do that, grill the vegetables in the oven.**
- Brush olive oil, salt and pepper on the ears of corn, red pepper and garlic cloves on baking sheet.
- Grill or bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from oven. Cool.
- Cook potatoes 10-12 minutes in microwave oven. When cool, scoop potato out of skin.
- Cut corn off of cob and set aside
- Saute chopped onion in olive oil in large soup pot on medium heat.
- Add salt, pepper and spices. Saute.
- Add corn, garlic, pepper, milk and vegetable broth.
- In separate cup, mix flour and water until you have smooth paste.
- Add flour mixture to soup and bring to a boil to thicken soup base
- Add potatoes
- Continue to cook soup on medium heat for 15 minutes or until soup thickens as desired
- Serve. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and fresh cilantro on chowder.
More recipes like Grilled Corn Chowder that you might like:
Homemade Chicken Soup-Instant Pot
More photos at Foodgawker Gallery