This vegan cajun mushroom pasta is one of my favorites--great spicy flavor, and so, so easy to make. Just saute vegetables, blend garlic cashew cream and add to cooked pasta. This delicious garlic cashew cream makes every recipe better!
If you use lentil pasta as I did, you will have additional protein with every serving in addition to the vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Good, and good for you.
Vegan, gluten free and dairy free and ready in less than 30 minutes.
- lentil pasta (Trader Joe's)
- green onions
- red pepper
- cajun seasoning
This creamy cashew sauce makes this dish, in my opinion, and is made using:
The cajun seasoning varies by brand and original, but is typically made from paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and oregano. Making this from home instead of buying it at a store lets you adjust the salt and spice levels.
Why lentil pasta?
If you are on a gluten free diet, you have to find alternatives if you want to continue to enjoy pasta in your diet. There are options available, but none are as good as lentil pasta, in my opinion.
Not only is lentil pasta very tasty, it is packed with protein, offering 14 grams of protein in each serving.
Experts agree that next to vegetable pasta, (zucchini noodles), pastas made from a bean base, are the best choice. My favorites are lentil pasta, black bean pasta, and quinoa pasta. They all add valuable protein to the meal.
Here, our dish features lentil pasta spiced up with creamy garlic cashew cream.
Chop vegetables and add to pan with spices and oil. Saute until tender.
Blend cashew garlic sauce
Add spinach to pan
Add cashew cream to vegetables
Cook, rinse pasta and add to vegetables
There's a bunch of variations that can be made with this, by including or substituting:
- nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor and b-vitamins
- birds eye chili hot sauce
- avocado oil instead of coconut oil
- zucchini instead of spinach for more meaty texture
- vegetable broth instead of water for extra flavor
Creamy Vegan Cajun Mushroom Pasta
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup green onions chopped, or leeks
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 3 cups spinach fresh
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 oz lentil pasta 12 oz, Trader Joe's, or other gluten free pasta
- 1 cup garlic cashew cream
GARLIC CASHEW CREAM
- 1 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 whole lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute vegetables in coconut oil.
- Add spices, salt and pasta.
- Add cashew cream
Garlic Cashew Cream
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender and blend until smooth.