This creamy cajun mushroom pasta is one of my favorites--great spicy flavor, and so, so easy to make. Just saute vegetables, blend garlic cashew cream and add to cooked pasta. The delicious garlic cashew cream makes every recipe better!
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Everyone on a gluten-free diet should still be able to enjoy pasta! Using grain-free pasta in dishes like this one or in my black bean pasta bowl recipe provides a meal that just about anyone can enjoy.
If you use lentil pasta as I did, you will have additional protein with every serving in addition to the vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Good, and good for you.
Mushrooms are a great source of nutrients. They are perfect for vegan diets because they contain minerals such as phosphorus, iron, and potassium that can be hard to obtain.
This creamy cajun mushroom pasta is a great recipe to use for easy meal prep because it is so quick to make. Simply store pasta in single-serving containers, reheat in the microwave and enjoy a nutritious and delicious lunch.
This creamy cajun mushroom pasta is a favorite of mine because it is delicious and so easy to make! Most of the ingredients are probably already in your pantry. The exact amounts are listed below in the recipe card.
Here's what is needed to make creamy cajun mushroom pasta:
- Lentil pasta - I use Trader Joe's
- Green onions - You can use leeks instead if you prefer
- Red bell pepper
- Cajun seasoning - Usually made up of paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano.
- Sea salt
- Cashews - Raw and unsalted
The cajun seasoning varies by brand but is typically made from paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper, and oregano. Making this from home instead of buying it at a store lets you adjust the salt and spice levels.
Creamy cajun mushroom pasta can be made in 30 minutes or less and is packed with good for you nutrients. It's also great for making ahead for easy packed lunches.
- Start by chopping the mushrooms, green onions, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add chopped vegetables to a pan with spices and oil. Saute until tender.
- To make the cashew garlic sauce add cashews, garlic, water, sea salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Next, add spinach a handful at a time to a pan and stir until the spinach is wilted. Only cook for a minute or two to prevent overcooking the spinach.
- Pour the cashew cream sauce over the sauteed vegetables and stir.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
- Add pasta and spinach to the sauteed vegetables and garlic cream sauce. Stir, serve, and enjoy!
There are a bunch of variations that can be made with this creamy cajun mushroom pasta, by including or substituting:
- For a cheesy flavor add nutritional yeast for b-vitamins. Nutritional yeast can be found in most grocery stores in the baking section or down the spice aisle.
- To make the dish spicier use birds eye chili hot sauce or add some red pepper flakes.
- For coconut oil substitution, you can also use avocado oil or olive oil.
- Substitute the spinach with zucchini for a more meaty texture
- For extra flavor in the garlic cream sauce replace the water with vegetable broth.
This creamy cajun mushroom pasta is so easy to make and is vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It's perfect for serving a hungry crowd. Here are my top tips for making this recipe.
- Avoid cutting the mushrooms too thin before cooking because they will shrink when sauteed.
- Do not overcrowd the pan when you are sauteing the mushrooms or you will end up with soggy mushrooms.
- Before cooking the spinach clean and drain any excess water then pat with a paper towel to dry.
- This recipe can be made ahead for easy lunches.
- Make sure your pan is hot before sauteing the vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are on a gluten-free diet, you have to find alternatives if you want to continue to enjoy pasta in your diet. There are options available, but none are as good as lentil pasta, in my opinion.
Not only is lentil pasta very tasty, but it is also packed with protein, offering 14 grams of protein in each serving.
Experts agree that next to vegetable pasta (zucchini noodles), pasta made from a bean base is the best choice. My favorites are lentil pasta, black bean pasta, and quinoa pasta. They all add valuable protein to the meal.
Yes! This creamy cajun mushroom pasta is perfect for meal prep. Prepare everything following the directions and place single servings into airtight containers. Just reheat in the microwave and enjoy a delicious lunch!
If you don't eat it all in one sitting, the good news is that it makes great leftovers! Simply store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and microwave when you are ready to eat.
Check out some of these delicious recipes on Green Scheme and let me know in the comments what you think.
- Cream of Mushroom Tarragon Soup
- Grilled Jackfruit Tacos
- Grilled Portobello With Cauliflower Onion Mash
- Grilled Butternut Sage Pasta
- Zucchini Balls
- Lentil Pasta With Roasted Vegetables & Jalapeno Cream
Creamy Vegan Cajun Mushroom Pasta
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup green onions chopped, or leeks
- 1 cup red pepper chopped
- 3 cups spinach or greens fresh
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 12 ounces lentil pasta 12 oz, Trader Joe's, or other gluten free pasta
- 1 cup garlic cashew cream
GARLIC CASHEW CREAM
- 1 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 whole lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Saute vegetables in coconut oil.
- Add spices, salt and pasta.
- Add cashew cream
Garlic Cashew Cream
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender and blend until smooth.