Cauliflower Crust Pizza. On a gluten free diet, the first thing I missed was pizza. In 2008, there were not many gluten free options, and a gf diet was much more restrictive. Today, many companies have embraced the alternatives, and that makes eating favorites so much easier. In this case, a cauliflower crust pizza isn't really a substitute for a gluten pizza. This pizza is delicious all on it's own, and eating it is a delicious treat when topped with vegetables. I would chose cauliflower crust over a dough crust, and not feel deprived in any way. That is the goal--food that nourishes and sustains me, not merely entertains me. This pizza is gluten free, and if you use vegan cheese, vegan and dairy free. Feel free to mix
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
- 1 head of cauliflower boiled and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg or flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoon water-let gel for 15 minutes
- ⅓ cup of goat cheese or soft herb vegan cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup minced onions
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- ½ cup red peppers
- 1 cup of fresh basil
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- ¾ cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup your favorite white pizza cheese parmesan, romano, mozzarella, white cheddar,or asiago, or vegan mozzarella
Maple Beet Hummus
- 3 beets shredded
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ⅛ cup coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. After cauliflower is completely cool, place it in clean cotton kitchen towel and squeeze all remaining water out of it.
- Mix cauliflower, egg, salt, minced garlic and goat cheese in bowl--make sure texture is smooth and lump free.
- Using a 9" round pan for thick crust, or 8x13" rectangle for thinner crust, lightly brush olive oil on bottom and sides of pan.
- Press cauliflower mixture into pan, making certain that it is evenly spread.
- Bake crust for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- After removing from oven, spread pizza sauce on top of baked crust. Evenly distribute vegetables and herbs--here we have chosen mushrooms, onions, red pepper, pineapple and basil, but you can use any vegetables or herbs that you like.
- Return pizza to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
- Add all ingredients into baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. After cooling, blend beets in small blender. Top pizza with beet hummus.